how high?

Stoner movies are a staple of my hobby.

The Big Lebowski (1998)
Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982)
Dazed and Confused (1993)
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle (2004)
Half Baked (1998)
Up In Smoke (1978)
PCU (1994)

The list goes on.

Now, I'm not big on getting "stoned." I've never tried drugs stronger than anything prescribed to me after getting my wisdom teeth pulled. I don't even drink very often, and anyone that knows me knows my stance on "altered states" in general. So why do I like these movies so much? I can't relate. I have no stories that start with "I was sooo wasted ..." I can't even empathize with the characters. I have nothing to draw a connection to these types of films, but I love them. They entertain me to no end. Maybe it's for just the reasons I mentioned. The only way I'm willing to experience getting wasted is through these movies, "second hand" as-it-were.

So, my brain cells prepared themselves for this movie like a herd of lemmings looking for a suitable cliff. And, boy, were they right!

Pineapple Express is one for the books. I know I may have "let the monkey out of the bottle" as it were, but it was good. The mark of a good stoner movie (in my humble opinion) is me asking the question "do I feel like I just lost brain cells?? If so, how many? And, how did they die? A couple at a time? In droves? Can I even remember how to tie my shoes?"

Seth Rogen and James Franco gave a solid enough performance that a couple of those questions are now answered. Yes, I lost brain cells. Lots of brain cells. They died a horrible, screaming, laugh-induced death the likes of witch would make the Rev. Jim Jones envious.

One thing that was a new addition to the "stoner movie" was Action. It was an interesting twist. The stoner friends had to pull together and overcome adversity greater than "Funk, Gutter, funk! George Clinton, Parliament Funkadelic. Dude, aren't you a music major?" It was a nice touch. It gave the characters a chance for some great sight gags, and non-too-few shots at popular culture action movie staples.

Overall Pineapple Express was a good addition to the stoner movie club.

"Damn, you just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos!"

No comments:

Post a Comment